80% of mobile browsing is concentrated in five apps: Facebook, Youtube, Google Maps, Pandora and Gmail
Every day more companies use mobile apps to interact with their customers. Gone is when shop windows announced their special offers, now they arrive directly at the mobile phone through a notification in the application.
According to data from consultancy Forrester Research, in 2014, 5% of global e-commerce was done through mobile devices and it was expected that, by 2016, these transactions will reach 10% of total sales. For 2017 it will be 30% of the total.
The App Date confirmed that in U.A.E, in the last four years, the number of mobile applications downloaded grew by 250%. Up to date U.A.E’s residents consume 3 million apps on their mobile devices: phones and tablets.
Undoubtedly, mobile phones have changed the way of thinking and relating society, both to family and friends, to products and brands.
What types of mobile applications do users demand?
- Entertainment: social networking and instant messaging apps are the most used by users. We can also find in this area the applications of the cinemas that show schedules, location of the rooms, discounts, facilitate the purchase of tickets …
- Banking: for the financial services technology presents a good opportunity to get closer to their customers. Checking the balance and the movements of the account, making transactions or finding the nearest cashier are some of the services that banks offer their customers through their mobile apps.
- Retail: new applications are emerging every day that offer facilities for buying and selling, comparing prices or looking for stores. Also, developers take advantage of the geolocation factor so that the stores themselves send out discounted notifications to customers closest to the physical location of the store.
- Restaurants and accommodation: hotel and restaurant applications offer on menus and rooms, the location of the premises or offer the possibility of making reservations.
- Streaming: are music and / or video download and playback services.
- Photography and video: they allow both the capture and recording of audiovisual content and its dissemination. They are very complete apps in which users interact with each other motivated by shared content.
Mobile applications begin to have more value in the communication and sales strategies of brands, and are positioned as a powerful tool for e-commerce.